Return to Home Page
How To Get Here
To get here by car.
- WARNING: Traffic on the 5 (and/or the 405) on a Sunday afternoon can be nasty.
serious consideration to taking a Metrolink train (see below). Yes, we'll pick
you up at the station, and drop you off after the party. Please contact us ahead of time.
- Here is a Google Map, ready for you to enter your home address and get a pretty good idea of how long it will take for you to get here.
- Here are some turn-by turn directions:
- Take the I-5 freeway to far-south Orange County, namely, the southern edge of Dana Point.
- Take the Camino de Estrella off-ramp.
- Head toward the coast. You do this by:
- if you're coming from central or north Orange County, turning right onto Camino de Estrella from the off-ramp; or
you're coming from San Diego County, turning left onto Camino
de Estrella from the off-ramp, and going over the freeway.
- When Camino de Estrella dead ends, turn left. Then make (in succession):
- the first possible right;
- the first possible left; and,
- again, the first possible left.
- There we are on the left! Follow the yellow-and-black "M" signs.
- Metrolink actually provides semi-adequate
train service on Sunday afternoons.
- Please contact us ahead of time,
so that we can pick you up at the San Clemente station (there is no Dana Point station).
- This is no inconvenience for us. The station is only a three-minute drive from our home.
- Note: this is the "San
Clemente" station, and not the "San Clemente Pier" station.
- Metrolink will let you ride all day Sunday – both to and from the party – for a flat rate of only $10 (click on "Fare Discounts" when you get to that webpage)! Note
that this is Metrolink only; Amtrak does not issue an all-day-Sunday
pass, and does not honor the Metrolink-issued pass.
- From parts north:
- Catch a southbound
- The #662 train leaves LA Union Station at 10:50 AM and arrives at San Clemente at 12:25 PM. Enjoy the beach for a few hours before the party!
- The #664 train leaves LA Union Station at 2:00 PM and arrives at San Clemente at 3:34 PM.
- Each train has many intermediate stops to get on. Check out the timetable ("Saturday - Sunday Outbound").
return you to the San Clemente train station in time to catch the 5:58 PM Metrolink northbound train, #667. It
gets back to Union Station (after stopping at each of the intermediate
stops) at 7:56 PM.
there's some disaster, and you miss the #667 Metrolink northbound – or
if you're just enjoying the party into the evening – we'll take you to
San Juan Capistrano.
- Again, this is little inconvenience for us – maybe a ten-minute drive from our home.
- Amtrak's northbound Pacific Surfliner #591 (SaSu) stops in San Juan Capistrano at 8:16 PM. Check out page 5 of the timetable for that train.
that the Pacific Surfliner #591 does not stop at every Metrolink stop, but
only at the following four stops: Irvine, Santa Ana, Anaheim, and
Fullerton. It pulls in to LA Union Station at 9:35 PM.
- Note also that Amtrak is more expensive than Metrolink, and that it does not honor Metrolink's all-Sunday-for-only-$10 pass.
- From parts south:
- Tragically, the folks at San Diego's "North County Transit District"
(which runs the Coaster) and those at Los Angeles' "Southern California
Regional Rail Authority" (which runs Metrolink) are incapable of picking
up the phone and talking with each other. They're even incapable of
taking their respective trains to Oceanside – where they overlap – and
splitting the tab for lunch. Instead, they have arranged the following
Sunday afternoon schedule:
- You have two choices:
- The all-rail option is to catch Amtrak's "Pacific Surfliner" #573
as it leaves downtown San Diego at 10:41 AM, on its way to LA. It makes a
stop at Oceanside at 11:48 AM, along with many intermediate stops up north-coastal San Diego County.
Have a relaxed lunch/brunch at one of the many restaurants in walking
distance of the Oceanside train station, or take a walk to the beach – which is only 900 feet away.
- Drive to the Oceanside train station and park your car. Welcome to Southern California.
- Either way, take the Metrolink #665 northbound at 1:24 PM. It arrives at the San Clemente station (not the "San Clemente Pier"
station) at 1:46 PM. It's a bit of a walk from the station to the
party, but a very short drive. Let me know that you'll be arriving, and
I'll be there to pick you up. Yes, I'll put you (and the other
early-arrivers) to work setting out teacups and croquet wickets.
- Southbound after the party is much nicer. I'll drop you off at the San Clemente station
before 6:15 PM, which is when the Metrolink #666 heads south. It arrives
at Oceanside at 6:55 PM. Amtrak's southbound Pacific Surfliner #584
will pick you up at 7:04 PM, and deposit you back in downtown San Diego
at 8:18 PM.
- It's a pleasant day's outing Behind The Orange Curtain. Come!
- Still confused? Contact me.