Return to Home Page
How To Get Here
To get here by car.
- WARNING: Traffic on the 5 (and/or the 405) on a Sunday afternoon can be nasty.
serious consideration to taking a Metrolink train (see below). Yes, we'll pick
you up at the station, and drop you off after the party. Please contact us ahead of time.
- Here is a Google Map, ready for you to enter your home address and get a pretty good idea of how long it will take for you to get here.
- Here are some turn-by turn directions:
- Take the I-5 freeway to far-south Orange County, namely, the southern edge of Dana Point.
- Take the Camino de Estrella off-ramp.
- Head toward the coast. You do this by:
- if you're coming from central or north Orange County, turning right onto Camino de Estrella from the off-ramp; or
you're coming from San Diego County, turning left onto Camino
de Estrella from the off-ramp, and going over the freeway.
- When Camino de Estrella dead ends, turn left. Then make (in succession):
- the first possible right;
- the first possible left; and,
- again, the first possible left.
- There we are on the left! Follow the yellow-and-black "M" signs.
- Metrolink actually provides semi-adequate
train service on Sunday afternoons.
- Please contact us ahead of time,
so that we can pick you up at the San Clemente station (there is no Dana Point station).
- This is no inconvenience for us. The station is only a three-minute drive from our home.
- Note: this is the "San
Clemente" station, and not the "San Clemente Pier" station.
- Metrolink will let you ride all day Sunday – both to and from the party – for a flat rate of only $10 (click on "Fare Discounts" when you get to that webpage)!
- From parts north:
- Catch a southbound
- The #662 train leaves LA Union Station at 10:50 AM and arrives at San Clemente at 12:25 PM. Enjoy the beach for a few hours before the party!
- The #664 train leaves LA Union Station at 2:00 PM and arrives at San Clemente at 3:34 PM.
- Each train has many intermediate stops to get on. Check out the timetable ("Saturday - Sunday Outbound").
return you to the San Clemente train station in time to catch the 5:58 PM Metrolink northbound train, #667. It
gets back to Union Station (after stopping at each of the intermediate
stops) at 7:56 PM.
- From parts south:
- You have two choices:
- The all-rail option is to catch Amtrak's "Pacific Surfliner" #573
as it leaves downtown San Diego at 10:41 AM, on its way to LA.
- It makes a
stop at Oceanside at 11:48 AM, along with many intermediate stops up north-coastal San Diego County.
Have a relaxed lunch/brunch at one of the many restaurants in walking
distance of the Oceanside train station, or take a walk to the beach – which is only 900 feet away.
- This is Amtrak (federal) and not Metrolink (state). Amtrak does not issue an all-day-Sunday
pass, and does not honor the Metrolink-issued pass. Write your Congressman to get this fixed!
- Drive to the Oceanside train station and park your car.
- Yes, drive. You'll at least avoid the traffic through Camp Pendleton.
- Welcome to Southern California.
- Either way, take the Metrolink #665 northbound from Oceanside at 1:24 PM. It arrives at the San Clemente station (not the "San Clemente Pier"
station) at 1:46 PM. It's a bit of a walk from the station to the
party, but a very short drive. Let us know that you'll be arriving, and
we'll be there to pick you up. Yes, we'll put you (and the other
early-arrivers) to work setting out teacups and croquet wickets.
- Southbound after the party is much nicer. We'll drop you off at the San Clemente station
before 6:15 PM, which is when the Metrolink #666 departs for points south. It arrives
at Oceanside at 6:55 PM. Amtrak's southbound Pacific Surfliner #584
will pick you up at 7:04 PM, and deposit you back in downtown San Diego
at 8:18 PM.
- It's a pleasant day's outing Behind The Orange Curtain. Come!
- Still confused? Contact me.