Return to Home Page
Politics is a political discussion group.
makes the politics in this group so non-screaming? The Rules:
- The group meets at the Starbucks at Pico & La Pata in San Clemente.
- We meet at 11:00 a.m. on random Saturdays.
- Contact me to see if this Saturday is a meeting day.
- Or just drop by. They serve great coffee and great pastries even when I'm not there.
the guy with the fedora (Sinatra style, but I don't sing nearly as well
as he did) and the short gray beard. You can't get much more political than Frank Sinatra!
- Enjoy some coffee (and maybe a pastry) with your conversation! Or enjoy some covfefe, depending on your attitude towards Trump.
These rules are subject to change. Contact me
with your suggestions! I'll post the current rules at least three days ahead of time. See you there!
are entitled to speak (and to change the topic) only when you have the
buck. Yes, we have a physical buck, which we pass around the table as
- The first person to get the buck is whoever sits to my left. Thereafter, the buck
passes around the table to
the left –
way the buck passes
- When you get the buck, and start speaking, you must support
or oppose an idea. You may not merely support or oppose the people who have that idea.
- You must state
why you support
or oppose the idea. You may not merely state
that you support
or oppose the idea.
may voluntarily pass the buck at any time, but only by actually passing
it. Just being quiet is not enough. If some rude persons misconstrue
your thoughtful pause as an invitation to speak, then the rest of us
will give them such a stink-eye that they will skulk away in shame
without you ever having to scream at them.
- You must pass the buck if you have been speaking for more than two minutes –
at least if someone else reaches out his or her hand to take the buck. Two minutes is, after all, the allotted time in presidential debates.
is a face-to-face political venue. You must keep your
cellphone/tablet/laptop off (or, preferably, at home or in your car).
If you prefer an online venue, consider spending Saturday morning at
home with this blog.