Return to Home Page
Crumpets and Tea
And Probably Some Croquet
- When - Where - Who
- Why -
Croquet - Cell Phone Policy
Crumpets and Tea are served. Join your
fellow civilized-human-beings for a civilized-late-afternoon chat.
No RSVP; no door charge.
We offer scones as well as crumpets.
Who knew that there were so many
scotiaphiles in Southern
Aye, me sainted
grandmother was, indeed, born in the auld country, in
Lasswade, just south of Edinburgh.
the scones tend to get eaten faster than the crumpets do.
a friend or two!
have a grand piano available. We have plenty of
tea-appropriate music available -- or bring some of your own! No disco. No country-western. You get my drift.
This civilized tea party
is usually preceded by an equally civilized round of croquet
beforehand. See below for details.
- A few of our guests bring goodies (home baked cookies or such). Most do not. Sure we do calories, but mostly we do conversation.
Always on the Third Sunday of the month.
Arrive whenever you like, at or after 3 PM.
We're likely to be dark a couple of months each year. Stuff comes up, you know?
announce such darknesses in advance, as soon as we can, both on this webpage and in the
newsletters which announce this tea party.
It wouldn't hurt to re-check this webpage around noon on Third Sunday.
Instead of the usual Croquet, Crumpets, and Tea, we host, for example:
Here's the schedule for
- Sunday, September 17, 2017: we're dark.
- Sunday, October 15, 2017: we're on.
- Sunday, November 19, 2017: we're dark.
- Sunday, December 17, 2017: we're dark.
- Sunday, January 21, 2017: come join us for the Kit Hope Film Festival!
At our home in far-south Orange County.
Here is how to get here, either by car or by Metrolink train.
Your host: HBDM Jim-Bob the Third, the Benevolent Dictator of Baja LasVegastan.
- Your hostess (who does all of the work, and
who still likes to play tea party
just as much as she did when she was a four-year-old): The Goddess Kristine, who needs no further introduction.
Eliza Doolittle sang it
best in Without You in
My Fair Lady:
There'll be spring every
year without you.
England still will be
here without you.
There'll be fruit on the tree, and a shore by the sea.
There'll be crumpets and tea without
I can do without you.
play between two and four individuals and/or teams.
begins between 3:00 PM and 3:15 PM on the large common lawn behind our home.
- We start when we have three guests, or at 3:15 (if we have even one guest), whichever comes first.
- Later-arriving guests will be added to already-playing individuals/teams.
- The Benevolent Dictator plays whilst The Goddess Kristine puts the final touches on the tea, crumpets,
scones, doilies, and so on.
- We play under Benevolent Dictatorship of Baja LasVegastan rules. Don't worry; the Benevolent Dictator will explain them to you as we start.
- All mallets,
wickets, stakes, and balls are provided.
and our guests step inside, and start sipping tea a bit early.
continues for as long as the players feel like it.
If you prefer to
continue to play after 4 PM, when the follow-on tea party formally begins,
If the first
round of play finishes before 4 PM, then we might well fire up the tea pot a
as to who beat whom at croquet is
expected at the follow-on tea. Genteel dispute, I say.
Cell phone policy:
phones are permitted. We
ask only that you step away from the party -- and out onto the front
porch -- before you remove your cell phone from your pocket or